Why Summer is the Best Time to Teach Your Kids to Sew!
Posted on May 14 2021
With summer holidays right around the corner, you may be looking for constructive activities that will help keep your kiddos stay active, enlivened, and off their screens.
No surprise, we think summertime is the best time to teach your children to sew, and we're not alone! Most education professionals agree parents should engage children in activities that challenge their brains and keep them learning throughout the summer months. And one such activity all agree fits the bill? Sewing!
In addition to learning a valuable life skill, studies show learning to sew has many mental and physical developmental benefits for children, particularly those ages eight to 12, including:
- Increases their concentration and focus
- Improves their problem-solving skills
- Improves their hand-eye coordination, finger dexterity, and fine motor skills
- Boosts their self-confidence and patience
- Teaches them how to follow instructions
- Assists with their communication skills
- Challenges their left-brain thinking and pushes them to use their imagination and creativity
- Promotes self-esteem and helps them express their individuality
- Challenges them to complete a project from start to finish and fosters a sense of accomplishment and independence
Sewing is a productive way for kids to spend the dog days of summer. And best of all, it gives them a chance to make something they love, and once they learn, they can self-entertain for hours on end!
All you need is a machine, a few introductory lessons, some gentle coaching, and your little sewer will be sewing in no time. Check out our handy dandy Summer Sewing for Kids featuring the cut & sew panels, tools, and fabric we’ve specially selected (and recommend!) for young, new sewers!
Cut Sew Panels:
- John James: Pebble Household Assorted Needles
- Gypsy: EZ Snips
- Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors Large 7-1/2in