UFO stands for Unfinished Objects in the quilting and sewing world and believe you me; they are out there everywhere! I bet you have five or six sitting in your house right now just staring at you.
It doesn't take long to amass UFOs. Even those of use who've only been sewing a few years have them lying around.
But why so many UFOs? Why do we start but not finish our projects?
Let's see. Off the top of my head:
- We run out of the fabric (may have mis-cut the pattern)
- We lose interest in the project
- We get stuck on a step (happens to the best of us)
- We don't have the time or energy to continue
But alas, there's no shame in UFOs; there are only solutions!
Here is my step-by-step guide for finally finishing up your UFOs:
- Go through your unfinished sewing projects and re-evaluate why the project is unfinished.
- Line up your unfinished projects with the easiest one first.
- If your project stalled because of a sewing machine issue, take your machine in for repairs.
- Was the fabric not ideally suited to the project? Sometimes the first try doesn't work. Choose a different fabric!
- Was your garment cut off grain? This is a very common problem. Off-grain pattern pieces will never hang straight. Shrug it off and start again.
- Was the pattern construction hard to follow? Many times I have been stuck on a pattern with poorly written instructions or unclear drawings. Ask for help!
- Are you overbooked with your sewing commitments? Learn to say no.
- First, get organized. Put ALL fabrics and supplies needed together with each project.
- Set goals. Write them down (clear and attainable). Hang them in your sewing area.
- Reward yourself as you finish your UFOs. Something small (flowers) or big (dinner at a favorite restaurant).
- Join our NEW UFO group, "Say No to UFOs" because friends don't let friends deal with UFOs alone!
WHAT IS SN2UFOs?
Say No to UFOs is an informal gathering of folks who are ready to crush their sewing and quilting goals together! We'll meet once a month at Chateau Sew and Sew to work on our UFOs together! We think this group will bring renewed energy to projects sitting around for a while or forever. And there will be wine.
Meetings will start in September, so please be on the lookout for more dates, more information, and sign-up on our website chateausew.com and at our shop!