But not this summer!
Whether heading to the beach, a new city, or a jaunt in the country, you can seaux your way to simple summer packing with a stress-free capsule wardrobe.
The capsule wardrobe was first popularized in the 1980s by fashion designer Donna Karan. She believed fashion should be timeless, stylish, effortlessly chic, and easily dressed up or down with the right shoes and accessories. When it comes to packing, this translates to open your suitcase, toss in your capsule, and go! — versus hours of dread (i.e., trying on everything you own and overpacking).
So, what exactly is a capsule wardrobe? As we've written about before, a capsule wardrobe is a well-curated collection of five or so basics in which each piece works with every other piece. Of course, the specific items will vary from person to person and season to season. But, generally speaking, the perfect summer capsule will include:
- A short-sleeve shirt.
- A long-sleeve blouse.
- A simple yet stylish skirt.
- A pair of pants.
- A shift or wrap style dress.
- A linen shell for cooler evenings.
Sewing your wardrobe instead of buying is a win-win for everyone. Instead of searching high and low for the perfect pieces to purchase and spending more than you should, you can create your custom capsule wholly tailored to your exact size, taste, and style by purchasing just a few yards of fabric instead! And sewing equals sustainability! You can ensure your clothing is ethically made and more environmentally responsible by sewing instead of shopping!
All you need is THREE color-coordinated fabrics for a cohesive and interchangeable wardrobe you'll look as great as you feel wearing! Bottom line, when it comes to summer travel, packing should be the first thing you do and the last thing on your mind!
Our fabric fashion experts have hand-selected three of their favorite fabric combinations best suited for heat and humidity to help get you started, but there are many more where these came from! If packing-made simple sounds like the plan for you, reach out to us by phone or email, and we'll be happy to help you select the fabric and patterns you need to create your own summer capsule!
Our picks to help get you started!
- Moda Fabrics - Ruby Star Society - Warp Weft Wovens - Pink
- Alexander Henry - Cotton Lawn - Mumsie - Pink
- Figo Fabrics - Terra + Tint - Blue - Cotton Linen
- Fabric Finders Fabric - White Seersucker
- Moda Fabrics - Ruby Star Society - Candlelight Wovens - Ocean
- Cotton & Steel Fabrics - Rifle Paper Co. Camont - Menagerie Garden - Black Rayon
- Fabric Finders Fabric - Striped Seersucker - Blue
- Stof Fabrics - Cevennes Triple Gaze - Bambou Bleu
- Seven Islands Fabrics - Cornflower - Linen